As the pace of innovation increases, many companies are switching from the traditional process of ‘one-at-a-time’ analogue synthesis, which is time consuming and highly labour intensive, to more efficient methods.
This was the case in the small, space-limited R&D laboratory at the School of Pharmaceutical Science, Sun Yat-Sen University, where they wanted to improve the productivity of experiments, consistency and safety. Using their existing set-up of a simple water condenser, heated magnetic stirrer and glass flask for drug synthesis/combination reactions they experienced long reaction times and with limited space, project progress was always slow.
After testing Radleys Carousel 12 Plus Reaction Station which offers 12 parallel reactions from 1 to 20ml scale, with uniform heating or cooling of each reaction tube, the laboratory purchased two units. A lack of space is no longer a problem as 12 experiments can be run simultaneously owing to the Carousel 12’s small bench-top footprint.
Carousel 12 Plus Reaction System features:
* Accepts up to 12 glass tubes with a reaction volume from 1ml to 20ml;
* Powerful, even stirring - fits on to a Carousel stirring hotplate;
* Rapid heating to 220˚C and cooling to -78˚C;
* Quick to set-up and easy to use;
* Easy viewing of tube contents during experiments;
* Removable water-cooled reflux head;
* Perform reactions under an inert atmosphere;
* Fluoropolymer coating for chemical resistance and easy cleaning;
* PTFE caps feature a ‘quick-thread’ for fast attachment to glass tubes;
* Removable reflux head allows reaction tubes to be transferred between heated base, cooled base or stand.